Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Totally Exhausted

May 1, 2009

I havent typed in a while, been working on thesis. With that out of the way now I can get back to work, and back to writing.

Late April of 09 I finished up 3rd year ID, and set to curing my dumb leaking exhaust. Which meant dropping the y-pipe for patching. That being said, the bolts had likely been in the manifolds since new.. and were getting relatively thin-shanked, not to mention fusing themselves to the manifolds. 3 of the 4 bolts broke off, leaving me with a predicament; a y-pipe that couldn't be reattached unless I dropped the manifolds and took the old bolts out.


Getting the manifolds off was actually rather easy. Jeep used hollow bolts that allowed for expansion to release pressure inwards, so they didnt seize. The manifolds came out in a few minutes each. The gaskets however, were a lost cause. one side had more or less disintigrated due to oil leaking onto it for a long time. So I grabbed some new Gaskets at the local Carquest.

With the manifolds off, I removed the AIR lines that hooked up to them, and ended up breaking one, so I plugged it. I wire brushed the rest of the manifolds and grabbed some super high heat paint (gloss white) to go well with the colour of the valve covers and air box.

No comments:

Post a Comment