Saturday, August 6, 2011

Re:Mounts

June 18, 2011

Probably a good idea when looking at an old "body on frame" vehicle to give the body mounts a good forceful tug. Had I tugged mine earlier I would have caught both the 2 front body mounts, as they were only held in place by the rubber that comprises them. The bolts inside had rusted through completely, and swelled in true cauliflower style so that the once 3/8" collared bolt was now an inch around due to puckering, and was completely severed from the rest of the body. I noticed the mount itself is fairly badly rusted as well... shhhh.



I was able to cut into the floor above the mount, where a special housing held a blind nut with the remaining stud still in it. Since I could not drill this out my only option was to shear it clean from the frame rail. A little bit of punch work and some wiggling freed up the old crumbled mess of the bolt. This allowed me a clear shot through the old bodymount with a new stainless (304) bolt, with large fender washers and flange nuts.



I  Fed the whole deal back together and repeated the process on the drivers side (wish i'd noticed this before doing my floor repair initially.

No comments:

Post a Comment