Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Late July – Early August 2011
Having booked myself in at the local Subaru Garage for a safety test and an e-test, it was time to tie up the remaining loose ends and get the vehicle into a passable condition. For the Wagon this meant mostly doing some more realistic Bondo prep and sanding; not to mention spraying those panels with primer to cover the bare steel.
In Typical More-than-I-bargained-for fashion, the Bondo was taking more time than I would have cared to allot to it in the first place, but since the clock was winding down I had to press on regardless of how long it was taking me (might have aided myself to have used some better bodywork tools; a long Lowes paint stick was the backing for all my sanding, allowing me to get the curves more or less right.



By the time I was more or less happy with the bodywork (aside from spot putty and final sanding) I shot some red oxide primer on it to keep whatever rust that wanted to form away from it. I also finished up the CAD for the Front Bumper I have been proposing all these years. I got in touch with a local metal fabricating shop that I’ve been in contact with for a few years (dare I plug them here?) called Templeton and Sons here in the GTA. These guys do excellent work and they are very reasonable in terms of their pricing (a full custom bumper turned out to be roughly the same if not cheaper than an OEM replacement). They do laser cutting, cnc press bending, and are fully certified to weld all sorts of metals. I will in the short term get a rear bumper done there of the same design persuasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment