Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Packin’ Glass



September 1, 2010

As with any good restoration enthusiast, it pays to have willing help that often will work for free. Having a brother-in-law close by has been a great boon to this project, as he is often more willing than I am to get his hands dirty and fix stuff. As a Pro mechanic and a master of anything pertaining to older vehicles, I enlisted his help on inspecting some exhaust parts and doing some brake line work before the weather got too cold (winter is an absolute beast; and a legendary raider of ambition)
 
               With one swift tug at the old muffler, it crumbled like a matzah; leaving a 2’ gap between my cat and the rest of the tailpipe. Replacement OEM mufflers are upwards of $50 if I’m lucky, and they really lack in character. Much to my economic benefit (though I assume more for my amusement), Canadian Tire sells a few sizes of CherryBomb Glass-Pack Mufflers. These units are made of heavier steel and are treated in heat resistant paint for longer life. They also are designed to flow straight through, boosting flow by as much as an advertised 40% - leaving the low rumble of the V8 while skimming off the higher pitch noises.


      The fit was just about stock, with the tail pipe being pulled a bit further forward. It made a difference in so many ways that it made the truck sound a lot younger. For starters, it quietened the exhaust from its old rattling hollow muffler problems, and added some much needed rumble. Since these mufflers were designed in the 60’s for muscle cars, it fits my engine like a glove.


       I also turned my attention to treating the front brakes to match my new rear drums. I popped off the rim and set to cleaning the calipre for paint. This adds nothing in terms of stopping distance, but does add a cool focal point on the road when the wheel is spinning. With the help of my brother in law, we removed the front passenger brake line and flex line, and began bending some blank stock to fit (didn’t finish, got too cold). 


No comments:

Post a Comment