Monday, April 25, 2011

Plans, Plans, Plans

In a somewhat artistic fashion, I am breaking code with my "chronological order" of things today. Since I haven't worked on the Wagoneer all winter (accounting for the lack of posting), I have devised a sketch in the warmth of my studio. I never really planned out what I wanted to accomplish with this project until quite a while into owning it, possibly because the amount of work was so foreboding that I wasnt able to get my mind past it. 

Now that all my mechanical work is complete (thanks to several days of holiday; and the subject of a subsequent blog), I am able to more or less visualize what I want the Wagon to end up being. First of all, no more woodgrain; this took only a few clicks of the mouse on the net to discover that replacement woodgrain is worth about 4 times what I paid for the truck in the first place, and I can put that money to better use.

One of the nice things about sketching is you can mock up any design you want, whenever you want. Not to sound nostalgic but I still prefer good old fashioned hand drawing over CAD programs or photo manipulating tools; it's typically faster anyways.

This overlay sketch (uses many sketches as underlays to develop the final image) is a rough depiction of my concept for the finished product, using a blend of new custom designed equipment while retaining the rugged mid 60's looks. the stripe (in vynil) denotes the engine displacement instead of using the cliched "V8" emblem, tones which are picked up by the dual exhaust and glasspack mufflers. Thinking of badging it the "Timberline" to denote the sort of rugged landscape this vehicle is built for (like the term "treeline," the timberline is typically the elevation where trees become sizeable enough to be used commercially). 

The utility rack is designed to fit the stock roof rack mounts, while following the contour of the roof and deflecting wind to hopefully aid a bit in aerodynamics; as if it mattered. Front and rear utility bumpers freshen the face from the tired sculpted aluminum ones that made it look so dated. They give it a more muscular appeal, and are far more useful than the original, integrating tow hooks, trailer hitch, winch mount points, and heavier protection.

Although the sketch is along the lines of a 4-6" lift, I will be going for something more like 2" for better road manners, and cost effectiveness. the tires are merely conceptual, but I will likely look for some aggressive tread meat once my stock tires wear out (they are currently brand new).

As an aside, I have never been a particular fan of that grille. I would like to swap in a mid 60's through mid 70's grille, as they are more durable and better looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment