Friday, November 18, 2011

Custom Bumper

August 30, 2011



Given that I had been running bumper free since some time in 2008, I had finally come up with a complete design for a front bumper that would replace the tired and faded aluminum one. This bumper used new formed brackets that bolt to the frame (they almost fit; I will revise the design so the holes sit further back… I had to ream out my frame holes). The body of the bumper is of unitized construction, all built into one piece, making it stronger. The tow hook tabs are mounted as high on the bumper as possible to allow for a more aggressive approach angle, and are directly in line with the frame rails for added strength when pulling (as opposed to being pulled, which should never happen).


I had completed the CAD work for this design 3 weeks prior, and had sent it off to the fabricating shop for a quote. In order to build it to my design the front middle section (with the tow hooks, and the wrap under below it) would have to be built separately and welded in, with the weld running along the leading edge of the bumper. This wasn’t a big deal, except the edge wouldn’t be that nice rolled form it would have been from a machine. All said and done this bumper cost me $350 (unpainted), which when compared to the $600-$800 price tag of bumpers from other aftermarket manufacturers, seemed like a pretty good deal.





I was able to mount it with relative ease, with the help of my parents to hold it in place while I fastened the brackets and the bumper to the frame. The fit was good, with a bit of filing to get the frame holes in the right spot. I had planned to paint this at the same time as the rest of the truck so mounting it meant I wouldn’t have to carry it up in the back.





This bumper certainly gives the truck a more aggressive appearance, and makes it look like it belongs to a 23 year old as opposed to a 63 year old (who would suit the woodgrain and rubber bumperettes). I’m not as opposed to that plastic grille, but would still prefer something off an older rig, with round headlights. I plan to paint it satin black, so at least it looks like powder coating (though hopefully it doesn’t behave like powder coating).

No comments:

Post a Comment