Friday, December 4, 2009

Rocker Panels... What Rocker Panels?

January 19/2008

Being one of the first non-frigid days we'd had in a while (not to mention snowless), I thought i'd take a crack at ridding the poor vehicle of some more of it's cancer. Im not sure if there's a technical term for curing Jeep cancer, but i have come to know it as my angle grinder with cut-off wheel (AGCOW for short). Before the resto began i snapped up about 2 dozen COW's and a free angle grinder from my grandfather (didnt need it anymore, so it became strictly a resto-tool). I highly reccomend the Ryobi-brand angle grinders; cheap, comfortable, and have a nicer switch system than most brands.

I plunged the wheel into the metal, only to find that most places cut like a surgeons knife through onion-skin (ie: there was not much left in terms of metal). I did find it odd that once i had completely cut away all the metal, the rocker didn't come off. As mentioned in a previous post, this was because someone saved their pennies by not doing a good rocker fix. In order to fix it, they injected expanding foam into the decrepit rockers, and bondo'd over it. this had mostly come off, but the foam stayed fast. it took me quite a bit of pulling to remove it all, but it finally came free. I only pictured the one side, simply because the other side looked the same.






No comments:

Post a Comment