Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Safety First

September 13/2008

With the majority of the floor patching done a while ago, I figured I should paint it before it rusted; too late. Some time spent with the wire wheel cleaned it up as well, and i was able to get some paint down on the drivers side.


I also managed to patch some nasty rust that had plagued the B-pillars, around the seat belt mounts. since the mounts were made of pure rust, i grabbed the strap, gave it a good tug, and with one hand ripped the drivers side belt from it's moorings. the passenger side wasn't much better; a turn of the bolt more or less broke the entire assembly free from a semi rusted mount. I braced the mounts, welded in new nuts, and stole some old belt mounting bolts from an 84 Buick Century I had laying in the field. I then welded a piece of sheet steel over the old hole, and shot it with primer.




With that done, I did a test to see if everything still lined up. Didn't care so much about the prettiness of the welds for 3 reasons. 1) you'll never see it; 2) it's a flux-core wire, and 3) novice welder on sheet steel.

No comments:

Post a Comment